[darcs-users] darcs patch: configuring author spelling variations w... (and 3 more)

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Sun Feb 8 16:48:03 UTC 2009

Thanks for the feedback!

>> It feels a bit garish to me, to call this file author *spellings*.

.authorspellings is a bit long, but it seems to communicate the purpose
better than anything else I thought of. I do want to avoid puzzling
every darcs user with an obscure file (I still don't clearly remember
the purpose of  the files in _darcs/prefs). ".authors", eg, I passed
over because people viewing the file might think it was a complete list
of authors. If a majority prefers that or another name, I'll change it.

> I'd say same options as we have for boring should probably work,
> ie. _darcs/prefs/authors, setpref authorsfile. At least it would give us
> consistency, even though the existing setpref interface might not be the best

I want this file to propagate to other repos, so I put it at the top
level. I thought about prefs but since they're not used often they
escape my memory and confuse me. I guess I'll read the manual again, or
feel free to say how exactly this would work. NB I think you would
rarely want this file to be local only, if people go to this trouble
they'll want it to propagate without extra effort.

I guess I've been influenced by a recent experience with git's
.gitignore files - their old-school simplicity was refreshing. I'd be
interested in hearing your thoughts about the config files and setprefs
system.