[darcs-users] haskeline and character encodings

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Feb 8 22:02:47 UTC 2009

Thanks for your answer, Judah

> The way that Haskeline is currently used in Darcs should not change
> its encoding behavior at all.  (In fact, Darcs still gets 8-bit Chars
> in whatever encoding the console is set to.)

So my impression is that Haskeline implicitly decodes (from the
console's locale) and then explicitly re-encodes it to emulate darcs's
behaviour of being 100% ignorant about character encodings.

Just one last fit of paranoia: are there any corner cases in which this
decode-and-re-encode process could go wrong (i.e. any more wrong than
being completely ignorant about encodings)?  For example, what if my
locale is mis-set? Can that affect anything?  What if I'm passing user
input to darcs from a file or something?  I'm guessing it should be ok,
just want to make sure we give this a good vigorous shake... :-)

Thanks!