[darcs-users] managing change

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Feb 9 01:48:33 UTC 2009

> Let's not forget the context of this. When it started this policy,
> twisted was already a very successful and widely used framework. In
> other words it had a big momentum.

True.

> Now this policy would be a completely different story if applied to
> a new project you just started. I can guarantee that you will be
> the only contributor to your project for a very, very long time.
> Only when it will gain enough momentum, will people start to
> overcome the restriction and contribute.

Well, on the tahoe project (which is much smaller and newer), we've
had about a half-dozen people offer patches.  Most of them were tiny
bugfixes or tiny added options, but a couple were a bit larger.  In
each case we said "Looks good, please provide thorough tests", and in
every case the contributor got back to us (I think in all but on case
in less than 24 hours) with tests.

So your hyperbole there about being the only contributor for a very,
very long time is definitely not true in general.  :-)

Really, are we sure that there are *any* potential contributors who
are turned off by testing requirements?  I am well aware of some
Twisted contributors who were turned off, but that wasn't because of
the testing requirement, that was because of the *review*
requirement, because nobody would get around to reviewing your patch
and it wouldn't go anywhere.  That sort of open-ended delay is
certainly a major turn-off.  I'm not sure that I'm really aware of
any contributor who decided not to contribute to something because of
testing standards.  It could well be seen as encouraging -- at least
you know if the project has standards then your patch won't be broken
by the next patch to land in trunk after it.  ;-)

Regards,

Zooko
---
Tahoe, the Least-Authority Filesystem -- http://allmydata.org