[darcs-users] darcs patch: configuring author spelling variations w... (and 3 more)

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Mon Feb 9 13:39:28 UTC 2009

Hi,

Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> writes:
> I want this file to propagate to other repos, so I put it at the top level. I
> thought about prefs but since they're not used often they escape my memory and
> confuse me. I guess I'll read the manual again, or feel free to say how exactly
> this would work. NB I think you would rarely want this file to be local only,
> if people go to this trouble they'll want it to propagate without extra effort.
That's the idea of setpref. Use:

    darcs setpref authorsfile .authorspellings

to get the equivalent of your version with the current framework.

> I guess I've been influenced by a recent experience with git's .gitignore files
> - their old-school simplicity was refreshing. I'd be interested in hearing your
> thoughts about the config files and setprefs system.
I'm strongly opposed to adding a special case for the authors file. A wholesale
conversion to dotfiles in repository root, dropping the setpref system could
work. However, please don't forget you will get .(darcs_)boring,
.(darcs_)authorspellings, .(darcs_)test and maybe some others. I would argue
that it makes more sense to keep the current system and think of a new
interface for it. It would also make sense to version _darcs/prefs instead,
choosing not to record if you want your changes to stay local. Maybe cleaning
up the mess there. We currently have:

always repository-local: defaultrepo, repos, motd, email, defaults, sources
sometimes repository-local: boring, binaries
global: prefs

However, cleaning this up needs to be part of a repository format rework
anyway, so it will take a while. Getting rid of setpref patches altogether is
even more intrusive (this will make repositories either incompatible, or will
require compatibility hacks).

To sum up: We now have about three different ways to treat repository
configuration. You propose to add fourth, without a prospect to get rid of any
of the existing three.

Yours,
   Petr.

PS: .gitignore is just a .cvsignore ripoff... It confused the hell out of me
when I started using CVS (long time ago). Maybe it's not the most intuitive
system either...