[darcs-users] darcs patch: configuring author spelling variations w... (and 3 more)

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 23:24:41 UTC 2009

Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> writes:
>> I want this file to propagate to other repos, so I put it at the top level. I
>> thought about prefs but since they're not used often they escape my memory and
>> confuse me. I guess I'll read the manual again, or feel free to say how exactly
>> this would work. NB I think you would rarely want this file to be local only,
>> if people go to this trouble they'll want it to propagate without extra effort.
> That's the idea of setpref. Use:
>
>     darcs setpref authorsfile .authorspellings
>
> to get the equivalent of your version with the current framework.
>
>> I guess I've been influenced by a recent experience with git's .gitignore files
>> - their old-school simplicity was refreshing. I'd be interested in hearing your
>> thoughts about the config files and setprefs system.
> I'm strongly opposed to adding a special case for the authors file. A wholesale
> conversion to dotfiles in repository root, dropping the setpref system could
> work. However, please don't forget you will get .(darcs_)boring,
> .(darcs_)authorspellings, .(darcs_)test and maybe some others. I would argue
> that it makes more sense to keep the current system and think of a new
> interface for it. It would also make sense to version _darcs/prefs instead,
> choosing not to record if you want your changes to stay local. Maybe cleaning
> up the mess there. We currently have:

+1 to everything in the above paragraph.

> always repository-local: defaultrepo, repos, motd, email, defaults, sources
> sometimes repository-local: boring, binaries
> global: prefs

I'm not sure that it's useful to make this distinction; I wonder if it
would be better to simply allow users to choose how preference files
propagate.  I have been extremely annoyed in the past by e.g. the email
file (which "darcs send" reads to know where to send patches) being
"thrown away" when I made a branch -- obviously I don't remember to
manually copy it separately, because during the "make a branch" workflow
I'm not thinking about darcs send.