[darcs-users] How do I purge a binary from my repository?

Lyle Kopnicky lists at qseep.net
Tue Feb 10 19:25:14 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

I have a basic working knowledge of Darcs, but am not familiar with many of
the advanced commands. I recently discovered that back in January, I had
accidentally overwritten my project's LICENSE.txt file with a binary
(apparently a distribution tarball). It was recorded as part of a patch
along with other useful changes. I was able to fix the file by recreating it
and recording the change. But now I have two giant patches in my repository:
one to add the binary (along with other changes) and another to remove it.
Furthermore, I have a backup of my repository on patch-tag.com that also has
these patches.

What's the safest and most straightforward way to purge these copies of the
binary from my history? I'm thinking something along the lines of: figuring
out what other changes were in the first patch that I want to keep, and
storing that in a diff; obliterating the patches from the repository;
reapplying the diff and recording that. Of course there's a risk that later
patches depended on the one I obliterated, which could make the repository
inconsistent.

Any sage wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lyle