[darcs-users] Google Summer of Code 2009 - ideas, students and mentors?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Feb 12 14:03:27 UTC 2009

Ideas from the list
So far we have:

 * darcs-optimisation project (hashed storage)
   * potential students: Petr

 * darcs GUI
   * http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/17
   * note: Wolfgang Jeltsch has two students working on a patch
     viewer soon.  Could we extend this into a GSOC project?

Ideas from last year
Here are some ideas from the wiki:

* A Windows project: not sure what this would entail, but darcs on Windows
  might need a bit of special attention
      o 2008-08 : proposed as a priority for darcs 2.2
* A single-file database pristine cache, which should be faster and more robust
  than our directory-based approach. e.g. a halfs filesystem.
      o 2008: darcs 2.0.0 has hashed pristine, which is more robust, but it's not single-file. do we still want this?
* Keeping track of which patches affect which files, to speed up query
  operations that affect only certain files (e.g. changes, diff, etc, when given
  a filename argument).
      o 2008-06 status: I don't think we do this yet. Still open?
* issue1007 Use Data.ByteString.Lazy for better performance
      o 2008-08: we now have bytestrings... we just need lazy ones
* issue647 A benchmark suite for darcs. Possibly make it version-control-system
  independent, so we could have automated and meaningful performance benchmarks
  against competitors? Would need to be flexible to simulate real workloads and
  automatically generate real repositories.
      o 2008: See http://code.google.com/p/maybench - very very early in development. Needs volunteers
* issue1009 Develop a new binary patch type that is more efficient in space and
  time. Again, requires some sort of benchmarking.
      o 2008-08: still open
* Add support for a character-based hunk patch type. May require tuning of the
  LCS algorithm, if we want this to work for large files.
      o 2008-06: still open
* Other interesting new patch types.
      o 2008-06: still open and untouched
* Git backend support? See DarcsGit
      o 2008-06: still open

Any other thoughts?

Students wanted
I'm pleased to see we have a possible student lined up.  Is there
anybody else on the list who would like to be a GSOC student for darcs?
What are your ideas?

Maybe we can submit a nice little list of proposals with students and
mentors all lined up :-)

Mentors wanted
Is anybody interested in being a GSOC mentor?  I might be willing to serve, but
I also suspect that other folks would be more suited for the task.  How about

GSOC Information
 * http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2009/faqs.html
 * http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforMentors