[darcs-users] Google Summer of Code 2009 - ideas, students and mentors?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Feb 12 16:29:39 UTC 2009

Oops, I accidentally pasted an old copy of that GoogleSummerOfCode page

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:25:00 -0500, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> >>       o 2008: See http://code.google.com/p/maybench - very very early in development. Needs volunteers
> > This could become a separate project (in the wider variant, with other-rcs
> > comparison).

> > Maybe build on darcs-benchmark? I have no idea about maybench though.

I'm not sure if maybench (and its darcs-benchmark) have a reason
for existing anymore now that we have your darcs-benchmark in
the Standard Darcs Benchmarks.  It's worth looking into.  Maybench's
darcs-benchmark still does something interesting, which is to
automatically generate tests.  Maybe we could just have it focus on
that.

> A thing that might be worth remembering in this context is that
> filestore has a Tests.lhs which uses the filestore commands to
> exercise basic functionality and see whether they work & satisfy basic
> properties we think they should. Right now, Tests.lhs doesn't serve as
> much of a benchmark - darcs finishes the tests faster than git! I
> think that may be because the largest files that Tests.lhs generates
> are about 5 lines long; if they were a few megabytes of /dev/random
> output, then maybe the code could turn into benchmarks as well as
> tests?

I should perhaps point out
  http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/StandardDarcsBenchmarks
which has the benchmarking script that we are currently using
(written by Petr)