[darcs-users] diff with another branch?

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Fri Feb 13 22:38:53 UTC 2009

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I'm curious, tho: isn't there some other way?
> E.g. using CVS, Arch, and Bzr, I very often
> a particular (set of) file(s).  So I'd expect darcs to provide
> something
> for that as well.

With the every-branch-is-a-copy-of-the-repo philosophy I find it easy enough
to directly use whatever side-by-side directory diff tool I have at hand
(such as WinMerge or GNU diff), sometimes telling it to ignore the _darcs
sub-directories.  With a little bit of work you can get a diff tool to try
to work directly with the remote copy, but it is often easy enough to do a
quick ``darcs get --lazy`` of the remote branch (particularly with
hashed/darcs-2 repos and a primed cache).  I've never felt I do it often
enough that I need a shortcut command in darcs itself for this task, but
your mileage may naturally vary.  More often than not it seems that I can
get all I need from individual patch diffs.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net