[darcs-users] darcs and Google Summer of Code

Kari Hoijarvi hoijarvi at seas.wustl.edu
Thu Feb 19 17:57:59 UTC 2009

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 18. Februar 2009 10:54 schrieb Eric Kow:
>
>> The first is to work towards a sort of graphical interface for darcs (as
>> has been suggested on this list).  I suspect that we what we will likely
>> do with this idea is to refine it into something that may either be
>> part of a GUI (like a patch dependency viewer), or which will make it
>> much easier for third parties to write a GUI in the future.
>>

> What do you mean with “something which will make it much easier for third
> parties to write a GUI in the future”?

Example: TortoiseDarcs.

- Getting status information is O(N) speed. I have to run 'darcs show
files' and 'darcs whatsnew -s --look-for-adds', and then compile status
from that. I can't get a single file status easily. There should be a
library I can link to that could query the status of a single file, fast.

- Performing operations like unrecord requires careful parsing of darcs
output, and poking y/n answers to input stream. Again, a library with
well defined callback interface would be much easier to work with.

Kari