[darcs-users] darcs patch: Typo: have_HTTP should be HAVE_HTTP. (and 2 more)

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Fri Feb 20 19:09:44 UTC 2009

Eric Kow wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 20:11:55 +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:
>> I don't actually understand what that code does, which is why I asked
>> about it instead of actually poking at it.
>
> It appears to read the remote _darcs/prefs/post file, which I understand
> to be related to the darcs send over HTTP feature.  I think it searches
> for email entries within that file, (those starting with mailto:).
>
> Ah! Perhaps the reason it is HAVE_HTTP only is that darcs send over HTTP
> only works with the HTTP library.  It'll be worth seeing what darcs send
> does when its input is 'Post' (notice that readPost returns either a
> Sendmail or a Post).

That would make sense considering that post tells darcs to send an HTTP
POST and you couldn't send such a thing without a proper HTTP library.

Here's how darcs send to post works from a user perspective, if that helps:

1. darcs grabs the remote _darcs/prefs/post
2. The post file contains an HTTP URL such as
"http://myserver.example.com/myrepo/post/"
3. darcs sends an HTTP POST request to the HTTP URL from the post file,
dumping the result code and output from the HTTP server to standard out

(This POST request is not in fact a proper, standard HTTP POST but
actually just the contents of the email that it would have otherwise
sent to the remote _darcs/prefs/email. I believe I submitted an issue in
round-up regarding this.)

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net