[darcs-users] annoyance with darcs convert . (darcs convert dot, aka the current directory)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Feb 22 07:48:05 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 18:53:46 -0800, Thomas Hartman wrote:
> > "darcs convert then push" is raising warning bells in my head: darcs
>
> then perhaps darcs convert . should be rejected, or at least give a
> warning message?

The issue here isn't about darcs convert ".", but the fact that you're
converting and then pushing to some other repository.  What is this
other repository that you are pushing to?

To get an idea what I'm saying this, I'll repeat a bit of that
elaborate warning message we display when people run darcs convert:

| WARNING: the repository produced by this command is not understood by
| the darcs 1 program, and patches cannot be exchanged between
| repositories in darcs 1 and darcs 2 formats.
|
| Furthermore, darcs 2 repositories created by different invocations of
| this command SHOULD NOT exchange patches, unless those repositories
| had no patches in common when they were converted.  (That is, within a
| set of repos that exchange patches, no patch should be converted more
| than once.)

Note particularly this paragraph...

Thanks!

PS: I've tried out darcs convert '.', which gives you a darcs 2 repository
under the current one:

  cd foo
  darcs convert .
  cd foo # yep, that's foo/foo

I'll leave it up to darcs-users to decide if we should allow that, or if
the potential to confuse users is too great.  Darcs convert should be
used in the same way as darcs get.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9