[darcs-users] What to do about darcs hooks

Thomas Hartman thomashartman1 at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 22 17:54:55 UTC 2009

I don't use darcs hooks and only understand what I have read about
them skimming the manual.

But my understanding is that you can pretty much get darcs to execute
arbitrary commands using prehook and posthook functionality.

Since patch-tag is world accessible, clearly this is not a good thing :)

Things are already locked down pretty tight for darcs over ssh by
using a chroot jail but I thought I would ask the community if they
could suggest best practices for how patch-tag could deal with darcs
hooks in the safest and nicest possible way.

For example, is there a way to disable hooks entirely, and if so would
that be the right thing to do?

Is there an argument that certain types of hook actions should be
allowed/encouraged and would be beneficial to the patch-tag community?

Thank

--
Thomas Hartman

Need somewhere to host your code? patch-tag.com
Want to build a webapp? happstack.com