[darcs-users] gitit test instance now running, please test it!

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Fri Feb 27 19:21:53 UTC 2009

Gwern Branwen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Max Battcher <me at worldmaker.net> wrote:
>> Eric Kow wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> We are now running a test instance of gitit with darcs weekly news
>>> entries:
>>>
>>>  http://test.darcs.net/
>>>
>>> For folks outside the Haskell community, gitit is a Haskell wiki engine
>>> which uses either darcs or git to store its content.
>>>
>>> I would be interested in one migrating the darcs wiki to gitit.
>>> To get there, we need
>>>
>>> 1. You to try this test wiki out and tell us what you think.
>>>   [To create an account, the access code is 'abcd']
>>
>> The pages aren't readable in IE8, at least.  It seems something isn't
>> quite
>> working with the lay-out CSS.  Photo attached.
>>

> Blame Bluetrip, I guess. http://bluetrip.org/

I later realized that there is a scroll bar, but that's an awful lot of
ugly whitespace to scroll through.  If I had to guess you might be
missing a critical div or body class="something" to sequester the page
layout to the constrained fixed-width size of Bluetrip in IE8.
(Personally, I'm against fixed-width page layouts on general principle,
but that's an argument for another day.)

I've never heard of Bluetrip before, but it doesn't seem terribly
flexible or well tested (or at least, neither are documented and there
are a ton of "x doesn't work in browser y" posts from a quick skim of
the forum).  Perhaps you could try adapting it to Yahoo's Grid CSS?
I've found Yahoo's Grid CSS enormously useful and its very well tested
in just about every modern browser out there...

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net