[darcs-users] darcs patch: Update documentation to reflect GHC 6.6 ... (and 1 more)

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 04:20:54 UTC 2009

Sorry, I've known about these instances for a while, but I considered
them low priority (more people run darcs than compile it, so user
documentation is more important than compile documentation).

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:
>  To build darcs you will need to have {\tt ghc}, the Glorious Glasgow
> -Haskell Compiler. You should have at the very minimum version 6.4.
> +Haskell Compiler. You should have at the very minimum version 6.6.
>
>  To build on Mac~OS~X, you will need the Apple Developer Tools and the ghc
> -6.4 package installed.
> +6.6 package installed.

These sound OK to me, but I'd probably take the opportunity to rephrase
them:

    To build darcs you will need GHC 6.6 or higher.

    To build darcs on Mac OS X, you will need the Apple Developer Tools
    and GHC 6.6 or higher.

> hunk ./src/configuring_darcs.tex 274
>  you can set the environment variable DARCS\_DONT\_ESCAPE\_ISPRINT to 1
>  and darcs will display all the printables in the current system locale
>  instead of just the ASCII ones.
> -NOTE: This curently does not work on some architectures if darcs is
> -compiled with GHC~6.4. Some non-ASCII control characters might be printed
> -and can possibly spoof the terminal.

I think this is wrong; "Some non-ASCII control characters might be
printed -and can possibly spoof the terminal" still applies to current
versions.