[darcs-users] darcs patch: Exposed the directory tools/ to be installed for run-time use

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 10:30:55 UTC 2009

"Andrés Sicard-Ramírez" <andres.sicard at gmail.com> writes:

> After to install darcs using cabal install, I think the directory
> /tools should be installed for run-time use. So, I moved the directory
> tools/ under the 'data-files' field in the .cabal file.

I don't agree, because I think this directory would be more accurately
called "contrib".  In other words, "here is something cool that someone
once provided, but we (the darcs developers) don't actively maintain it,
and it might fail to work or blow your foot off, and we probably can't
help fix any problems you have with it."  Thus, if someone wants
something from here, they will already know what to do with it.

For example, the zsh completion code is (according to #zsh) obsolete,
having been more actively maintained with the zsh repository (which is
apparently the norm for zsh completion scripts, unlike bash).

I'm also pretty sure that cgi/ has not been actively maintained, and
interest in it has been replaced by interest in more powerful
(github-style) web interfaces.  In any case, installing them into
/usr/share/darcs/tools or similar wouldn't be useful, because CGI
scripts need to be placed in a specific directory (often chrooted, so a
symlink wouldn't suffice).

I don't know about update_roundup.pl or darcshoogle*, but I imagine they
are only useful for darcs.net and similar -- not end users.