[darcs-users] darcs patch: Exposed the directory tools/ to be installed for run-time use

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Jan 4 16:32:40 UTC 2009

Thanks for the patch!

Unfortunately, it looks like I shall not be applying it (due to Trent's
observations).  Please let us know or perhaps submit a new patch if you
think we should act differently

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 21:30:55 +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> I don't agree, because I think this directory would be more accurately
> called "contrib".  In other words, "here is something cool that someone
> once provided, but we (the darcs developers) don't actively maintain it,
> and it might fail to work or blow your foot off, and we probably can't
> help fix any problems you have with it."  Thus, if someone wants
> something from here, they will already know what to do with it.
>
> For example, the zsh completion code is (according to #zsh) obsolete,
> having been more actively maintained with the zsh repository (which is
> apparently the norm for zsh completion scripts, unlike bash).

Sounds like we should just remove it altogether then.

> I'm also pretty sure that cgi/ has not been actively maintained, and
> interest in it has been replaced by interest in more powerful
> (github-style) web interfaces.  In any case, installing them into
> /usr/share/darcs/tools or similar wouldn't be useful, because CGI
> scripts need to be placed in a specific directory (often chrooted, so a
> symlink wouldn't suffice).

I once submitted a patch <4899edb3.2273420a.66a6.2a47 at mx.google.com> to
do this, but David pointed out that our darcs.cgi is still more powerful
than currently existing tools.  Should we revisit that decision?

 * http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2008-August/012772.html

> I don't know about update_roundup.pl or darcshoogle*, but I imagine they
> are only useful for darcs.net and similar -- not end users.

Right

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9