[darcs-users] darcs patch: Revert --restrict-paths removal. (and 2 more)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Jan 5 10:56:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 02:36:09 -0800, David Caldwell wrote:
> I have a few fake darcs repos in the test section of a perl module I'm
> writing. I want to be able to test the module without having darcs
> installed so that the CPAN automated testers can do it for me.

So, I'm still not 100% sure I understand here.  Does this mean the only thing
you are really interested in is to be able to create patches with _darcs in
them?  Explicitly relative patches and patches with ".." in their paths,
presumably would still actually be malicious in your eyes?

Darcs.CommandsAux says:
| is_malicious_path :: String -> Bool
| is_malicious_path fp =
|     not (is_explicitly_relative fp) ||
|     splitDirectories fp `contains_any` [ "..", darcsdir ]
|  where
|     contains_any a b = not . null $ intersect a b

David says:
> I'm going to add a new patch to fix it because that particular patch was
> a straight rollback patch (I didn't write those docs) so it seems a
> little dirty to rollback and then amend... But if you'd rather have it
> that way then let me know and I'll do it.

Either way would have been fine with me.  Glad to see rollback serving
its purpose!

> ./t/darcs-hashed/_darcs/pristine.hashed/da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709
>>     ./t/darcs-old/_darcs
>>     ./t/darcs-old/_darcs/inventory
>>     ./t/darcs-old/_darcs/pristine
>>
>> If you are sure this is ok then you can run again with the
> --dont-restrict-paths option.
>
> I think this is a better thing to do than a straight documentation patch,
> as no one really cares about the option until you have to avoid the
> check. And when the issue hits you it's nice to have the info right there
> instead of having to root around in the manual (or the source code) for
> what the error means and what you can do about it.

I think I agree with your reasoning about this.

(Still) almost ready to apply these patches :-)

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9