[darcs-users] ANNOUNCE: vc-darcs.el version 1.9

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Jan 6 19:58:39 UTC 2009

Since I was starting to become annoyed with the issues that vc-darcs had
with recent Darcs releases, I've updated it for Emacs 22 and Darcs 2.0.
The new version 1.9 (not tagged yet, in case there are any last-minute
fixes) is, as usual, available from

New features:

  - works with all variants of Darcs repositories (pristine-less, hashed,
    2.0, etc.);
  - integrates more smoothly with Emacs (thanks to whoever added the new VC
  - works through tramp (yay!).

  - requires a Darcs 2.* binary;
  - not tested with either Emacs 21 or XEmacs;
  - somewhat slower than the previous version, as it doesn't know about
    repository internals any longer.

More precisely, this version only makes the following assumptions about
the format of Darcs repositories:

  1. the root of a Darcs repository is marked by the presence of a directory
     called _darcs;
  2. no files under _darcs are ever registered, except for files under

As long as these assumptions are satisfied, it will work with new variants
of Darcs repositories.