[darcs-users] ANNOUNCE: vc-darcs.el version 1.9

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 00:35:07 UTC 2009

Juliusz Chroboczek <Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr> writes:

> You'll most likely want to know about the following:
>
>   - C-x v =, or M-x vc-diff, which diffs the current buffer against the
>     corresponding pristine (``master'') file,
>   - C-x v l, or M-x vc-print-log, which shows the list of changes that
>     apply to the file in the current buffer,
>   - C-x v g, or M-x vc-annotate, which displays a readable version of
>     ``darcs annotate'' (see the screenshot above),
>   - C-x v v, or vc-next-action, which, in the case of Darcs, allows you to
>     record changes for a file in state darcs/modified.
>
> YMMV, but I find the state-requesting functions extremly useful.  I really
> cannot live without C-x v =.  The state-affecting functions less so, since
> I tend to prefer Darcs' interactive interface for recording.

The real benefit of these, for me, is that for the simple case "I
changed a paragraph of this file and want to commit it", I don't need to
remember which VCS I'm using -- it's always C-x v v.  This is also
faster than changing to a shell.

Since I use darcs, hg and (less extensively) svn, git and rcs.  Even
with some cunning aliases, I still do "darcs ci" --error--> "oops, this
is a git repository" a lot ^_^;;