[darcs-users] cabal install darcs-2.1.98.2 without libcurl-dev

Salvatore Insalaco kirby81 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 07:12:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:21 AM, Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com> wrote:
> In a clean VM running a pretty bare Debian Lenny, I got cabal-install
> working, then did "cabal install darcs".  I get this failure, because
> libcurl-dev isn't installed.  I think this was a known bug, but I'm not
> sure if it was supposed to be fixed for darcs 2.2.  (Obviously to fix it
> I configure -f-libcurl or install libcurl-dev.)

As far as I know it's impossible to solve it simply in Cabal in a
multi-platform way.
We just have to write in installation instructions that we require
libcurl, or to install it with -f -curl. For Windows (where the
libcurl dependency is tricky), I'll provide more detailed
instructions.

Making HTTP the default is not currently a good idea: is really slower.

I think it will wait for 2.3.

Salvatore