[darcs-users] How do you set a global boring file on windows?

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 23:16:11 UTC 2009

Max Battcher <me at worldmaker.net> writes:

>> "C:\Documents and Settings\hoijarvi\.darcs\boring" didn't have
>> effect.
>
> That appears to me to be the correct path; I've used user
> defaults/author/sources in Windows.  I've never used a user boring
> file before so it might be that for whatever reason boring doesn't
> work, but I doubt that.  Here are a few things that I can think of
> that you might double-check:
>
> * Boring uses regexes and those can sometimes be difficult to debug.
> Have you tried double checking your regexes in a debug tool/test
> environment to make sure that they match/don't match as expected?

If there's an strace-like tool on Windows, you could use it to trace the
file open syscalls made by the darcs executable, and see where it goes.
For example on Debian it'd be

    $ strace -eopen darcs whatsnew 2>&1 | grep boring
    open("/home/twb/Preferences/.darcs/boring",
         O_RDONLY|O_NOCTTY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE) = 5
    hunk ./.darcs/boring 7

The unusual output in my case is because ~/.darcs is a symlink :-)