[darcs-users] What version changed 'darcs changes' behavior?

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 00:03:02 UTC 2009

Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> writes:
> So the filestore darcs backend is done.
> http://johnmacfarlane.net/repos/filestore

Perhaps I'm obtuse, but what *is* a filestore and what are the potential
applications for this work?  I had a look in doc/, but that was just API
documentation and the explanatory paragraph at the top of the first page
didn't really enlighten me.  How (if at all) does it relate to these
other projects?

CopyFS keeps versioned copies of all changes done to files under its
  control and allows the user to revert back to any previous revision.

  http://n0x.org/copyfs/

ZipperFS is a file server/OS where [...] the zipper-based file system
  looks almost the same as the Unix file system. Unlike the latter,
  however, we offer: transactional semantics; undo of any file and
  directory operation; snapshots; statically guaranteed the strongest,
  repeatable read, isolation mode for clients; pervasive copy-on-write
  for files and directories; built-in traversal facility; and just the
  right behavior for cyclic directory references.

  http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/ZFS

Tahoe is a secure, decentralized, fault-tolerant filesystem [...]
  encrypted and spread over multiple peers in such a way that it remains
  available even when some of the peers are unavailable, malfunctioning,
  or malicious.

  http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe

> So, I know that the backend only works with somewhat recent Darcs. I'd
> like to know the exact version a user must have for it to work, for
> the README.

Use "darcs trackdown" in the darcs repository? ;-)