[darcs-users] darcs patch: Resolve issue1311: Use time zones from GNU coreutils; ...

Dave Love fx at gnu.org
Thu Jan 15 22:07:22 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:07:25 +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:
>> On my Debian system, at least, there is a "tzdata" package which has a
>> whole bunch of timezones in it.  Could these be used (possibly by means
>> of the FFI)?

I'm not sure you could use the data very conveniently, but you'd need a
portable solution for darcs anyhow.  Maybe autoconf/gnulib provides
clues, but I don't know whether it's worthwhile worrying.  I assume
what's good enough for date(1) is reasonable, and it does cover the
globe with normal and daylight-saving zones (apart from the half-hour
ones -- tough on Newfies with the current types).  Probably eggert is a
good chap to ask about this stuff if anyone cares.

>> I worry that just keeping a local copy of data (timezones or otherwise)
>> means that sooner or later it'll get out of sync.
>
> Any comments on Trent's suggestion?  Should I just apply your patch as
> is in the meantime?

It seems reasonable to me, but I'm not a (darcs) maintainer.  It is a
definite improvement extending the coverage in a reasonable way.