[darcs-users] Fwd: Towards a conflict-free revision control system.

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 23:32:44 UTC 2009

Declan Naughton <piratepenguin at gmail.com> writes:

> I wanted to chose darcs because it sorts out the most conflicts, and
> through adding custom patch types such as for xorg.conf and different
> files or types of files in /etc, it could sort these conflicts out
> automatically.

I recommend you look into dpkg's "conffile" support, which will *detect*
conflicts (local and upstream changes), but only offers a two-way merge,
because no common ancestor is kept.  The ucf(1) package also provides
"conffile-like" merge detection for dynamically generated conffiles.

There is also etckeeper, which keeps /etc under version control and has
some basic integration with dpkg.

If you want to improve etckeeper's dpkg integration so that it can offer
a three-way or n-way merge, that would be Super Awesome.