[darcs-users] integrating git-darcs-import

Bertram Felgenhauer int-e at gmx.de
Thu Jan 22 11:26:14 UTC 2009

Simon Michael wrote:
> Hello Bertram.. thanks for your work on git-darcs-import. I've been looking
> at integrating it within darcs. I've been able to build it against libdarcs

Nice :)

> after a small darcs fix, and it seems to work nicely. I'd like to get your
> thoughts about how to deploy and maintain it. Two of the options are:
>
> a. move it into darcs, eg as the "darcs export-git" command, hopefully the
> first of many
>
> b. keep it as a small standalone tool (that requires libdarcs)

I'm leaning towards b), mainly because I don't think it would be fair
to put the burden of maintaining the code on the darcs developers,
not to mention setting a precedent for adding export-* commands for
all VCSs out there. Eric seems to share this opinion.

I'm glad that the darcs developers have decided to make the code
available as a library, which will simplify maintaining a standalone
tool a lot. (Not that I have done much maintaining lately. Oh well,
time to pick it up again.)

> Secondly the tool comes with a small Git accessing library which looks
> quite useful. Should this be extracted and published in its own repo, and
> on hackage ? Would you like to do this ? Let me know if I can help.

I feel that the code is really not generic enough for that purpose.
There are some ideas there which may be reused for a stand-alone
library, but I haven't really tried to write one.

Bertram (int-e on Freenode)