[darcs-users] dvcs article

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Sat Jan 24 16:06:46 UTC 2009

On Jan 24, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Tommy Pettersson wrote:

> Darcs (and SVK) are "not recommended", because the alternatives can
> all handle large repos, whereas darcs can not

Sounds like a reasonable recommendation.  I would be interested in
having some automated generation of graphs of darcs performance and
scalability, generated by the buildbot.

> The article also describes darcs' repo-is-a-branch-is-a-repo as
> inflexible compared to the competitors. This puzzles me, because I
> find this freedom *extremely* flexible. But I have not used any of
> the other systems, so I don't know what I'm missing out on.

Yes, this is a common criticism of darcs.  I can't tell whether there
is really some advantage to the way other dvcs's have separate
notions of branches and of repos, or whether the users of those
systems are mistakenly thinking that darcs's branch==repo causes some
problems that it doesn't.

Regards,

Zooko
---