[darcs-users] darcs patch: Refactor version machinery in Setup.lhs. (and 3 more)

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Sat Jan 24 22:08:55 UTC 2009

Hi,

here come the promised patches. These solve the problem of autogenerated
modules by actually not generating any modules. The template files become
ordinary .hs sources, just using CPP to get info from Cabal. I have verified
that sdist now works, while ThisVersion and Autoconf are listed in
other-modules (we shouldn't expose them anyway, I guess).

This also throws in a versioning scheme change, with the following:

2.2.97.1 -- first alpha
2.2.98.1 -- first beta
2.2.99.1 -- first rc
2.3.0 -- final

This part of the machinery is fairly untested.

NB. These patches break autoconf horribly (that was not the intention, but
there's no other way around). I will also send in a patch to fix the hspwd
problem somehow and I will ask all these patches to be applied on mainline. We
will need to switch all of the testing infrastructure over to cabal along
that. I will rely on volunteers to fix up autoconf, if there are any (or
otherwise, send a patch removing the autoconf build altogether).

Yours,
   Petr.

Sat Jan 24 22:10:15 CET 2009  Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
  * Refactor version machinery in Setup.lhs.

  Sanctify the notion that 97, 98 and 99 are special in a darcs version
  number. Assign fancy names to them, for prettier darcs --version.

Sat Jan 24 22:51:49 CET 2009  Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
  * Replace ThisVersion.hs generation within Setup with some simple CPP.

Sat Jan 24 22:52:00 CET 2009  Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
  * Produce -DPACKAGE_VERSION="..." programatically in Setup.lhs.

Sat Jan 24 23:00:19 CET 2009  Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
  * Drop autogeneration of Autoconf.hs, use CPP instead.