[darcs-users] darcs patch: Refactor version machinery in Setup.lhs. (and 3 more)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Jan 25 22:02:55 UTC 2009

> While I understand the cautiousness, we absolutely need to move forward (before
> we die off). Autoconf can be fixed later, but without moving our infrastructure
> to Cabal, we are half-blind: there are no bots to verify that our build system
> works, et cetera. So even if I understand that you want to retain autoconf for
> 2.3 *release*, I don't buy that we need to keep it working all the time in
> between. Let's just switch to Cabal now, fix up the damage this does and then,
> if someone finds the time in the following 4 or 5 months, fixes up
> autoconf.

As long as you're still committed to autoconf working for darcs 2.3, I
can be more or less badgered into accepting some temporary breakage.

Anyway, before said badgering begins, let's see if somebody can fix up
the configure script for us.  I doubt it's going to be hard, just
tacking a few more variables on to the autoconf.mk(.in)

> Still, I would prefer a full-scale move, ie. whatever is running the testsuite
> for http://darcs.net should switch as well (probably using the setpref patch in
> my other mail).

Your wish is my command:

1. I still need to retrain myself to cabal configure etc, but it will
   happen

2. Your setpref patch should have covered this move for my staging repo

3. I have upgraded darcs.net to Cabal 1.6 and the apply posthooks to
   use the Cabal build method, fwiw:
    apply --posthook nice -19 runghc Setup configure; runghc Setup build; make website ; /usr/share/buildbot/contrib/darcs_buildbot.py allmydata.org:13989

4. I have pushed a couple of patches to the buildbot master.cfg, if
   Zooko would be so kind as to apply them

So I think we might have all bases covered.  This all makes the whole
process very slow, but since I've got things set up in a fire-and-forget
infrastructure (thanks to David), slow is OK.

Some things that may go wrong
-----------------------------
GHC 6.6 build slave owners may want to upgrade to Cabal 1.6:
  http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/GHC6.6

Also, on my machine, I get this error:
[ 18 of 134] Compiling Context          ( src/Context.hs, dist/build/darcs/darcs-tmp/Context.o )

src/Context.hs:3:55:
    lexical error in string/character literal at character '/'

...which goes away if I delete that file (cabal then uses the autogen
one.  Sounds like our configure script or whatever generates our
context files not peacefully co-existing with cabal)

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9