[darcs-users] darcs patch: Refactor version machinery in Setup.lhs. (and 3 more)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Jan 26 13:40:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:02:01 +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> > > Am I correct in thinking that supporting Cabal 1.4 is non-trivial and
> > > not worth the effort?
> >
> > Care to comment, Duncan?
>
> It depends what you're doing. I didn't get any of the context. Certainly
> cabal version-specific code in Setup.hs is problematic.

The context is that we're switching to Cabal as the default build method
for darcs.

The Cabal file and Setup.lhs you have written us has an explicit
dependency on 1.6 and we were wondering if there was a particularly
strong reason to do this, and if it would be extremely inconvenient to
make it work with Cabal 1.2.

(I now say 1.2 instead of 1.4, because it's what ships with GHC 6.8,
which is presumably what Trent is after...).

I think we're OK with requiring Cabal 1.6.  It's just that if we can
easily get away without it, we might as well try to minimise the pain on
our users.

Thanks!

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9