[darcs-users] experience report from patch-tag (hung push on fork of patch-tag)

Thomas Hartman thomashartman1 at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 7 01:27:02 UTC 2009

So, this is rather embarassing.

I tried forking patch tag, as follows:

darcs get the patch tag code repo on local machine
create new (empty) repo via the patch-tag interface
darcs push to patch tag.

The process hunt (10 minutes, no feedback).

local machine:
thartman at ubuntu:~/patch-tag-dev>darcs changes | wc -l
2210
thartman at ubuntu:~/patch-tag-dev>darcs --version
2.2.1 (release)
thartman at ubuntu:~/patch-tag-dev>

server:
thartman at patch-tag:~/patch-tag>darcs changes | wc -l
2204
thartman at patch-tag:~/patch-tag>darcs --version
2.2.1 (release)
thartman at patch-tag:~/patch-tag>

I can successfully perform this action if pushing to a virgin local
repo, takes about a minute. I can also push to patch-tag server if I
wipe history and push just the files as a first commit.

Still, this struck me as pretty bad behavior. Has anyone had similar
experience, or is there documentations on the conditions that can lead
to a hung push?

How does darcs hold up when hosted in darcs? Any similar problems?

If any of the darcs devs would like to have access to the patch tag
repo to reproduce this themselves the are welcome.

Doh!

thomas.

--
Thomas Hartman

Darcs hosting: patch-tag.com
Build a webapp with haskell: happstack.com