[darcs-users] experience report from patch-tag (hung push on fork of patch-tag)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Jul 7 12:12:07 UTC 2009

So first things first, it sounds like a workaround would be just
to make a tarball and get from that.  Let's look a bit deeper:

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 21:27:02 -0400, Thomas Hartman wrote:
> thartman at ubuntu:~/patch-tag-dev>darcs changes | wc -l
> 2210

Could I get a darcs show repo on that?

> I can successfully perform this action if pushing to a virgin local
> repo, takes about a minute.

That's interesting.  It's the same action whether remote or local.
Darcs push basically creates a patch bundle and performs darcs apply.
So if it works locally, then an explanation like "darcs apply chokes
on the large bundle" is likely not correct.

I wonder why pushing remotely should make a difference.  If I remember
correctly, we do something that amounts to
  cat all-your-patches.dpatch | ssh patch-tag.com "darcs apply --repodir /foo"

Let's test this out.  Could you darcs send -O a patch to an empty repo?
What happens if you then apply that bundle?  What happens when you scp
it over and then apply it by hand?

> I can also push to patch-tag server if I
> wipe history and push just the files as a first commit.

Does darcs put fare any better?

> If any of the darcs devs would like to have access to the patch tag
> repo to reproduce this themselves the are welcome.

Let's see how you do with the above first.  Thanks,

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9