[darcs-users] experience report from patch-tag (hung push on fork of patch-tag)

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Fri Jul 10 03:50:14 UTC 2009

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn <zooko at zooko.com> writes:

> On Jul 9, 2009, at 12:38 PM, Thomas Hartman wrote:
>
>> Experientially though, scp has a nice status bar that says what's
>> going on, and darcs push doesn't. That would have made a big
>> difference here.
>
> http://bugs.darcs.net/issue845
>
> That would have made a big different in a lot of cases of which I am
> aware.
>
> Darcs would be much improved simply by passing through all stdout and
> stderr so that the user can see whatever ssh chooses to say.

We stopped doing this because scp would say things like "no such file
fs:foo/_darcs/format" when Darcs was working perfectly well, and this
was very confusing.  I guess progress bars were line-buffered or
suppressed, which is why you never saw them back then.

Note that for a modern setup, scp isn't (AFAIK) used at all.  The two
pipelines are

    darcs pull fs:foo --> ssh fs darcs transfer-mode --repo foo
    darcs push fs:foo --> ssh fs darcs apply --repo foo

So essentially you're talking about implementing progress notifications
within transfer-mode, I think.