[darcs-users] darcs.net upgrade status

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Jul 13 00:45:17 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

Here's the status on the darcs.net upgrade.

We have to the latest version of Debian stable (i.e. from etch to
lenny).  There was a bit of trouble at first because of an out of memory
error (probably related to darcsit), but that was resolved with a
reboot.  Since the reboot, I have successfully installed the packages
from lenny and rebooted again.

So we're making progress!  Unfortunately, not everything is working
out smoothly...

Overview
--------
- :-)  web site (and darcs repos)
- :-)  wiki

- :-/  build system
- :-/  buildbot integration

- :-(  bug tracker
- :-(  upgrading from PostgreSQL 8.1 to 8.3

:-) Web site and wiki
---------------------
Meanwhile, the website seems to be running and fetching stuff over darcs
works.  I've also restarted gitit and it seems to be fine.

Note that the old Moin site broke, perhaps due to some kind of mismatch
between the old config file and the new Moin.  I opted not to deal with
this, and to disable test.darcs.net instead as well as remove the Debian
packages for Moin.  The old wiki is now gone completely.

:-/ Build system and buildbot integration
We've gone from GHC 6.6 to GHC 6.8.2.  I'll need to install new
libraries and get darcs building again (not to mention the darcs
website).  I'll probably get to this last.

There's also a little hook that we use to tell the buildmaster
to start a new build.  I suspect that's gone and that we'll need
to do something to reinstate it.

:-( Roundup issues
-------------------
It looks like going from Etch to Lenny brought us from roundup 1.2.1
to 1.4.4.  I was pleased at first because the bug browser appeared to be
working, but poking a bit more at it reveals some errors

1. Bug tracker does not seem to accept updates via email or the web
   interface.  I attach a log.

2. Search is broken.

3. roundup-admin migrate (which I only thought to run late in the
   process

I've taken the web interface down for now and will bring it back up on
request.

Simon and Trent: any chance you could help with this?  I'll try to be
around tomorrow so that we can talk about this.

:-( Upgrading from PostgreSQL 8.1 to 8.3
One of the dpkg user friendly dialog boxes told me that I should install
the latest PostgreSQL and do

  pg_dropcluster --stop 8.3 main
  pg_upgradecluster 8.1 main

But this fails with "could not bind IPv4 socket: Cannot assign requested
address".

I got the friendly log message "Is another postmaster already running on
port 5433?" (5432 is being used for 8.1) but did not find anything that
seemed to be using that port.

I suppose this is not particularly urgent, but it would be nice to get
it done and over with.

One step at a time...

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9