[darcs-users] Acceptable use of the darcs logo

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Tue Jul 14 02:57:21 UTC 2009

Max Battcher <me at worldmaker.net> writes:

> I was under the impression that the Inkscape SVG
> (./doc/logos/logo.svg) is the master

Oh, sorry!  Clearly I misremember.

> (or at least has been used in that capacity for years). It doesn't
> have any of the Dublin Core/Creative Commons XML tags that Inkscape
> displays in the "Document Metadata" pane.

OK, someone should add that.

> I thought that I had remembered David Roundy saying something about
> the logo being public domain

There are problems with attempting to place works in the public domain:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Licensing_and_Law/public-domain.html

I'd like to find out who the original author was and get them to agree
to a FOSS license (e.g. GPL or CC-by).

> All of which is to say, *I* think it is acceptable for Ashley to use
> the logo for his slides.

Agreed; this is more a matter of bookkeeping than wanting to actually
come down on anybody with legal griping.