[darcs-users] Naming consistency between darcs and other DVCSs

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Thu Jul 16 07:02:06 UTC 2009

Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Ashley Moran <ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I just re-stumbled across the darcs Rosetta Stone[1].  What I hadn't
>> noticed before was the section "Recommendations for unification":
>>
>> 	• rename get to clone
>> 	• rename changes to log
>> 	• rename record to commit (DVCS are popular enough now)
>> 	• rename rollback to new "repeal"
>
> I'll add one:
>
>     darcs status --hidden alias for--> darcs whatsnew

+1 for a ``darcs status`` hidden alias. That seems reasonable and I know
it has tripped up people from other SCSes. I'm mostly opposed to
renaming ``darcs get`` and ``darcs changes``, but clone and log
(respectively) are fine for hidden aliases.

The most useful other alias I can think of would be ``darcs info`` as a
hidden alias for ``darcs show repo``. (Similar to ``svn info``, which
apparently is a relatively common svn command for me. I've never
mistakenly tried ``darcs info``, myself, but I have learned that neither
hg nor git provide an info command either.)

``darcs repeal`` sounds silly to me, but I actually would be interested
in a better name for rollback, _if_ we can find one (and one that isn't
revert). I think rollback might be better used/more often used if it had
a more descriptive name that emphasized the idea of recording an inverse
of (part of) a patch. I don't have any good suggestions yet.

Also, the existing support for ``darcs commit`` seems perfectly
informative to me (try it!).

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net