[darcs-users] darcs patch: Mention Emacs' table support in a comment. (and 1 more)

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Jul 16 14:38:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 3:16 AM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:36:57 +1000, Trent W.Buck wrote:
> > Thu Jul 16 12:35:19 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
> >   * Mention Emacs' table support in a comment.
> >
> > Thu Jul 16 12:36:25 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
> >   * Everybody else seems to use "status" for "darcs w -s".
>
> Pushed, thanks!  I've always been pretty shameless about just pushing my
> patches (as I figure people edit the wiki from the web anyway).
>
> But then again, it is useful from time to time to have a reminder that
> you the wiki is darcs-based and you can send patches to it.

Do you think there may be a compelling argument for granting anonymous apply
privileges here?  There are many ways to implement this and I won't claim to
know the easiest, but I will outline a few that I can think of:

1) setup a dedicated email address and write a procmail recipe that attempts
to apply any patches and emails back with the status
2) apache has a few different ways to allow authenticated and
non-authenticated HTTP requests to write to the filesystem (darcs push over
http is theoretically possible, right?)
3) perhaps darcs should/could have, or benefit from, a webdav or webfs mode
(I consider this suggestion controversial)

Since the wiki already supports applying patches via its web interface, why
would I suggest this?  Because not everyone is using a web browser to access
our darcsit wiki.  Trent being one such example.  Is it worth the effort?  I
would say, only if it helps us advance the state of art with darcs *or* is
super simple to setup.  Therefore, my vote is on #1.  I'm not claiming that
#1 is trivial by any means, but the manual does sketch how to do it for a
regular user:
http://darcs.net/manual/node5.html#SECTION00540000000000000000

Food for thought.  I'm in no way volunteering for this and I would
completely respect/understand a decision to not make this change.

Jason