[darcs-users] Naming consistency between darcs and other DVCSs

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Thu Jul 16 15:01:34 UTC 2009

On 16 Jul 2009, at 06:20, Dan Pascu wrote:

> Actually one can look at this the other way around. Every time I
> have to work with svn, hg, git, it strikes me how difficult is to
> use them compared to darcs. They do things in twisted ways, or have
> unnatural names for their commands (mostly because they just copied
> them from previous systems). Following your argument I'd say there
> is a strong case for a language reform in git, hg, svn, ... :P
>
> It would alienate me to see that a very simple and intuitive command
> set is butchered down and morphed into something else just to make
> it easier for git users not to be surprised. If anyone hopes that
> this would attract more git/hg/svn/whatever users to darcs, she's
> overly optimistic. None will leave their favorite VCS to move to a
> little known system that has a similar command set. Honestly how
> many git users switching to mercurial or the other way around do
> anyone here know about?
>
> That's not to say I'm against improving the command names. But what
> I consider improvement in their case is making them better express
> what they do so they're intuitive to use. I do not consider an
> improvement mimicking other VCS' commands just because they're more
> popular.

I'm sold.  darcs should use the terms that make sense, not the terms
that other (possibly very different) more popular systems use.

Some things I think darcs has got right: record/push is one.  Some
things I'm not sure about: changes is one, for me at least.  Some
things I'm pretty sure could be improved: revert and rollback come to
mind.

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ashleymoran