[darcs-users] Darcs 2.3 beta 3 (interim)

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Jul 16 19:37:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:05:33 +0200
> Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I made an interim beta release with a fix to the bad index segfault
> > (hopefully). This should be the last beta in this release cycle, unless
> further
> > problems arise. In less than two weeks, we are looking at an RC and a
> final
> > release. Fasten your seat-belts!
> >
> > Yours,
> >    Petr.
> >
> > PS: Just cabal install darcs-beta to get it. Reports always welcome.
>
> This fails for me like the first beta did:
>
> $ cabal install darcs-beta
> Warning: No remote package servers have been specified. Usually you would
> have
> one specified in the config file.
> cabal: There is no package named darcs-beta
>
> ####
>
> I'm sure there's some Haskell documentation I could find read somewhere
> about
> how to read this, but darcs should be more user-friendly than that. It
> should
> contain all the instructions I need to install and use it, including
> getting
> cabal setup if that's the recommended way to install it, and cabal
> apparently
> doesn't always auto-configure default download servers for you.

Normally it does.  Do you recall how you installed cabal-install?  I've
installed cabal-install 4-5 times over the years and not run into this error
before.  I suspect you're in a edge case for some reason.  Essentially,
cabal is saying that it doesn't know where to get packages.  There is
currently only one public package server, and that is hackage.  I think the
only way to make this step more user friendly would be to provide a wrapper
around cabal-install.  I think that's a bad idea:
1) most cabal-install users won't run into this
2) experienced cabal-install users will be potentially confused
3) one more thing to maintain and document

I'm CC'ing Duncan as he will have a better idea about this.

Jason