[darcs-users] Naming consistency between darcs and other DVCSs

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Fri Jul 17 08:20:39 UTC 2009

Nathan Gray <kolibrie at graystudios.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 03:02:06AM -0400, Max Battcher wrote:
>> ``darcs repeal`` sounds silly to me, but I actually would be
>> interested in a better name for rollback, _if_ we can find one (and
>> one that isn't revert). I think rollback might be better used/more
>> often used if it had a more descriptive name that emphasized the idea
>> of recording an inverse of (part of) a patch. I don't have any good
>> suggestions yet.
>
> If it's building an inverse patch, the command could just be:
>
>   darcs invert

Either "darcs invert" or "darcs reverse" sound OK to me.  (The latter
due to the isomorphism with "darcs diff | patch --reverse").

I guess it's also worth noting that rollback's semantics changed pretty
radically in the darcs-2 format -- it used to be a low-level thing, but
now it just creates ordinary patches.