[darcs-users] How to split up a big repo

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Jul 17 10:02:10 UTC 2009

Hi Yitzchak,

This sounds like it would be an interesting question to add to the FAQ
once we've worked out a good way to do it.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:56:38 +0300, Yitzchak Gale wrote:
> Since that re-organization, I don't recall ever needing to
> record a patch that touched files in more than one
> subdirectory at once. My guess is that even before the
> re-organization, no patch touched files that eventually
> went into different subdirectories; but who knows for sure.

That's handy but it's not too big a deal because presumably you
could always delete the extra files in each sub-repo.

> So, how do I go about doing this?

I think it's possible, but I don't have a clear picture off the
top of my head how to do it easily.  I can say that recent darcs
has grown a 'touch' matcher, which is quite handy for this sort
of situation.

Perhaps something like
 darcs init
 darcs pull ../big-repo --match 'touch subdir_2'
would do the trick?

Thanks!

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9