[darcs-users] How to split up a big repo

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Fri Jul 17 11:17:44 UTC 2009

Hi!

Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> writes:
> I have a darcs repo that has been getting bigger over the
> years. And bigger, and bigger. Now it is quite unmanageable.
Could you please go into more detail about the unmanageability of the repo?
Also, is this something we could download and play with?

If your gripes are about repository-local operations (i.e. not pushing and
pulling patches around, as that is a different problem), it may be that darcs
2.4 will improve that experience a lot. To check out if this is going to be the
case, you may want to install darcs 2.3 beta 4 (see
http://web.mornfall.net/blog/darcs_2.3_beta_4.html). Unfortunately, this
version of darcs only improves the "darcs whatsnew" command. It would however
be interesting to know if this makes a difference for you. (You can expect
similar improvements in other repository-local commands, in darcs 2.4.)

Yours,
   Petr.

PS: I am not saying you should not split your repository, just that it may be
an interesting testcase for darcs.