[darcs-users] How to split up a big repo

Lele Gaifax lele at nautilus.homeip.net
Fri Jul 17 13:11:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:56:38 +0300
Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> wrote:

> In order to be able to keep working, I now need to split up
> this repo into a separate repo for each subdirectory tree off
> the root. Of course, I need to preserve the history within
> each subdirectory tree. There are 43 such subdirectory
> trees.

If the fact that a single patch "spanning" multiple directories is a
problem (and thus makes Eric' solution not ideal), tailor could maybe
help for the problematic subdirs. It'd be a matter of writing a
configuration file like

    [split-subdir-foo_bar]
    root-directory = /tmp
    source = darcs:source
    target = darcs:target-foo_bar

    [darcs:source]
    repository = /path/to/original-repo
    subdir = original

    [darcs:target-foo_bar]
    subdir = original/foo/bar

Once executed, you should find in /tmp/original/foo/bar a darcs repo
(eventually in darcs-2 format...) a stripped down version of the
original, with only the content of the foo/bar subdirectory.

hth,
ciao, lele.
--
nickname: Lele Gaifax    | Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas    | comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.