[darcs-users] rolling back across a tag boundery

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sat Jul 18 07:58:29 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 09:20:50 +1000, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> I agree; I think this restriction is a historical holdover from darcs-1
> that should be dropped.  Nathan, please file a bug so we don't forget
> about it.  (If you file the bug, you'll be notified when it closes.)

Judging from Max's observation (that you can just rollback the tag along
with the patch you want), this may just be a natural consequence of how
darcs works and therefore not a good idea to try and fight.

If I understand correctly, the reason darcs won't let you rollback past
a tag is simply because the tag depends on the stuff behind it.

We can test this out by creating a repo where you have an out-of-order
tag (ie, by pulling a tag).  If I'm right, then darcs should let you
rollback the patch which is not depended on by the tag even though it's
"behind" it.  If it does not, then yeah, I agree with Trent to the
extent that at least this should be possible.

I may be mistaken.  I do dimly remember some sort of stop-at-last-tag
behaviour too that this may be a remnant of, but it'd be a good idea to
understand what exactly is happening.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9