[darcs-users] darcs patch: Remove autoconf support and cut GNUmakefile to only bu...

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Jul 21 19:22:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 18:17:06 +0200, Petr Rockai wrote:
> This is sort of a carnage patch. After this, we will be down to a single
> buildsystem: Cabal. This means we no longer need to maintain all the shell+m4
> mess that the autoconf system drags around. Unfortunately, it also means that
> we lose some features:

RAAAARRRR!  It is quite a relief to see autoconf go at last.

Applied, provided the manual still builds.  Thanks! (I'll wait to apply
your autoconf hard-code patches so that we can avoid a conflict fight).

> - make continuous: this is something we may want to get back -- the best
>   approach I can think of is to patch searchpath to use cabal to do the work:
>   either that, or write a new tool... original searchpath seems to be gone and
>   it's a good deal of spaghetti with load of features we don't care about

Collateral damage.  Hopefully we'll find something to replace this.

> - make darcs-snapshot: dunno what is this good for either

This is used by the buildbots to do automated nightlies.  We'll just
have to find some other mechanism to make this work again.  Perhaps
instating the target in our Makefile, but having it point to the cabal
build.

> - make windowsinstaller: has anyone seen this working in last say year?
> - make microbench: probably not used either

Might be good to see what's going on there.

Remove autoconf support and cut GNUmakefile to only build manual and tags.
> +PREPROC=./dist/build/darcs/darcs --preprocess-manual

Another option (when we have Cabal 1.8 to avoid recompilation) might be
to have another executable darcs-extras for the man page and preprocess.

> +%.pdf: %.tex
> +	cd $(<D) && $(RUBBER) --pdf $(<F)
> +%.ps: %.tex
> +	cd $(<D) && $(RUBBER) --ps $(<F)

Note that for now we require rubber to build the documentation.
Rubber is a handy wrapper around latex.  It should be fairly easy to
install.

> -shell_harness: tests/shell_harness.hs
> -	$(ANNOUNCE_GHC) --make -o $@ $<

I'll throw in a trivial patch to remove this file too

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9