[darcs-users] Autoconf broken in 2.3?

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Wed Jul 22 01:34:14 UTC 2009

Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net> writes:

> Nevertheless, this puts the 2.3 release in a pretty bad shape, since
> we don't have the manual without autoconf. So if no-one steps in, I
> will drop autoconf from 2.3, together with the user manual building
> abilities (I have previously declared that I won't actively waste time
> on autoconf). Amends may be done in later 2.3.x releases.

Regarding the manual, I'm perfectly happy with shipping an autoconf
tarball that includes a pre-rendered (i.e. HTML and/or PDF) version of
the user manual, but doesn't have the facility to "make html" to re-
render it.

I'm less happy if 2.3 ships without a pre-rendered manual nor the means
for users to render it, but honestly I think getting the source released
is a higher priority.

Bear in mind that since Darcs 2.0 a *lot* of documentation has been
updated and made available via "man darcs" and "darcs help", which was
previously only available in the user manual.  Also, since the TeX-only
parts of the documentation have received the least scrutiny, there is
still a lot of stuff that's obsolete (Darcs 1) to the point of being
actively disinforming.  In other words, I think the TeX user manual is
less valuable than it once was.