[darcs-users] cheap in-repo local branches (just needs implementation)

Grant Husbands darcsusers at grant.x43.net
Wed Jul 22 18:46:53 UTC 2009

Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net> wrote:
> Well, the problem with that point is that maybe half of your points were
> trivially untrue, which sort of puts a dent into the argument itself. :)

Yes, untrue parts certainly don't help anyone's argument. ;-)

> You are probably overdoing the "integral" part of the equation, given that the
> only difference is administrative. You can import parts of darcs from outside
> of darcs just fine, these days. Anyway, the 80/20 problem is equivalently
> applicable to in-darcs as it is to out-of-darcs implementation.

Perhaps I mean more integral to the repository format. I imagine that
a few enhancements to Darcs' repo handling would remove some of the
understanding-darcs-internals trickery that most bothers me about the
current proposal. Also, such a change could be a relatively formulaic
refinement of the current code, rather than being extra code to
simulate the same thing. So, hopefully without causing further
negativity, I've written up a new proposal, which is in my reply to
Eric's message in this thread.

G.