[darcs-users] darcs patch: Make utf8-string mandatory. (and 1 more)

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Fri Jul 24 01:42:15 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:
> So we could *still* try to keep the zlib code around, only this time
> agree to get rid of it, when it is a demonstrably an impediment to
> progress.

Consider the case where a user reports a strange bug that none of us can
reproduce.  After weeks of discussion, it finally is discovered that
zlib 0.5.0 was installed on that user's system, so cabal silently picked
-f-zlib.  That user was using the internal zlib instead of libHSzlib.

This actually happened to me -- if I hadn't bothered to configure
--verbose and check the flags, I would be running the internal zlib
right now and not even know it.