[darcs-users] darcs patch: Make utf8-string mandatory. (and 1 more)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Jul 24 07:35:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:42:15 +1000, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Consider the case where a user reports a strange bug that none of us can
> reproduce.  After weeks of discussion, it finally is discovered that
> zlib 0.5.0 was installed on that user's system, so cabal silently picked
> -f-zlib.  That user was using the internal zlib instead of libHSzlib.

Sold.  I'll apply the patch on my next round.  If we're wrong, we'll
just have to pay the price of a messy rollback.

In my opinion, we're doing this not so much because of the cruft,
but because we want to cut down on needless sources of variability
(n parameters, 2^n configurations, each unique configuration a
liability).

Now instead of worrying about being too stubborn, I can worry about
being too flip-floppy.

Thanks for the comments!

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9