[darcs-users] darcs 2.3.0: compile fails with GHC 6.8.3 on FreeBSD 6.3

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Mon Jul 27 20:19:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:11:32 -0400
Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com> wrote:

> > The cabal-install program has an annoying feature that if a dependency
> > fails to build, it sometimes still tries to build the original
> > package.  So I'm willing to bet that a diagnostic message was output,
> > but was buried in the middle of the darcs build output.
> >
> > Running "cabal install haskeline" should provide a better error
> > message.  To get  it working, you may need to provide extra arguments
> > to point to iconv's headers/library files, e.g.
> >
> > cabal install haskeline --extra-include-dirs=/usr/include
> > --extra-lib-dirs=/usr/lib
>
> A variation of that worked:
>
> cabal install haskeline --extra-include-dirs=/usr/include --extra-lib-dirs=/usr/local/lib
>
> Perhaps the inclusion of "/usr/local/lib" can be automated on FreeBSD in the future?
>
> Now that I'm past that I'm getting a notice about "curl" being missing,
> which should be straightforward to address. I'll post further notes to
> darcs-users once this compile/install is done.

The compile completed by using this:

 cabal install darcs --extra-lib-dirs=/usr/local/lib

It would be nice if "/usr/local/lib" could be automatically used
for the darcs build on FreeBSD, since it's a standard library path
there.

A little more feedback on the "cabal" system:

- The compile should a status of "1 of 136", which I took was like a
  progress bar, but then when it got to 136, it started the counting
  over again. It actually completed after two round of counting.

- I would like to know if there's a way to run the test suite via cabal,
  as that gives me extra confidence that darcs is working as expected on
  my platform.

    Mark

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   mark at summersault.com     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .